Thursday, October 14, 2010

Workout With Your Computer?




For a while I was working from home, and spending a lot of time on the computer.  Knowing I needed to get some type of exercise in but feeling sluggish from sitting all day, I was inspired to build my own Treadmill Desk.  I read about someone who walked across the country (distance-wise) on their treadmill while writing a book, and decided to try it for myself.   

I researched various desks, and you can buy commercial versions or build your own.  Here is the link to the instructions I used to build mine for approximately $39.


Luckily, mine worked out perfectly ergonomically because it’s very important to set it up with the right height to avoid upper back and wrist injuries.  Additional Styrofoam planks can adjust the height, but if you need to go lower, he mentions building a sling instead.

Also, pay attention to the speed you use so you’re not bouncing up and down while typing or going too fast and potentially having an accident.  You’re only walking about 1-1.5 mph, but over the course of an hour, depending on your age, sex, and body type, you can burn approximately 100-130 calories per hour.  Even working at your ‘desk’ a few hours a day can really add up.

Here is a picture of the treadmill desk I used.  If you like to run on your treadmill, it can be cumbersome to go back and forth unless you have a laptop.  I also placed a motorcycle strap around mine to keep it from tilting off since the arms on either side were a little short.



Overall, it’s a great alternative to getting exercise and staying productive.  Perhaps you can show your boss the Good Morning America interview above (YouTube) about Treadmill Desks, and get one put in your office.   I know I enjoyed mine.

Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Now if we can just get TSYS to do that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I know it could help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete